In addition, the Secretariat includes the office of the Executive Director and staff working on Partnership Coordination, Finance and Administration. All parts of the Secretariat are designed to complement each other, so that the effectiveness and impact of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The Secretariat is a unit of the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), a United Nations entity which serves as WSSCC's legal and administrative host.
The main tasks of the Secretariat are to:
- Act as the organizational hub for WSSCC's activities
- Facilitate, advise and guide the members on the strategic opportunities for promotion of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) issues
- Develop and provide tools for advocacy, fundraising and programme development at the regional and national levels
- Contribute to achieving the MDGs through supporting the implementation of sanitation and hygiene programmes
- Organize or participate in strategic meetings internationally, regionally and nationally for promotion, advocacy, and knowledge dissemination in the sector, and to spread the messages of WSSCC
- Contribute to collective global leadership in relation to the priorities and goals of the sector
- Raise funds and maintain accountability and transparent management procedures.