The Global Sanitation Fund selects the countries in which to fund programmes according to the following criteria where there is:
- a large number of people and proportion of population without basic sanitation;
- high incidence of disease related to poor water, sanitation and improper hygiene;
- low economic and social development indicators;
- a national sanitation policy or strategy, which is not already being fully funded from other sources;
- an existing active National WASH Coalition or other WSSCC partners that request Global Sanitation Fund funding for that country;
- government agreement and welcome that Global Sanitation Fund can support work in the country.